About This Site

Lets the parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently.

With this visa you can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
  • sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
  • travel to and from Australia for 5 years
  • apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible

Travel to and from Australia for 5 years

From the date we grant this visa, you can travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years.

After that period, you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.

If you leave Australia after the expiry date of your travel facility, without being granted another permanent visa with a valid travel facility, for example a Resident Return (RRV), you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. 

To see when your travel condition ends, use VEVO.

If you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa

You can apply for the subclass 143 visa as a two-step process by first applying for a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa. Applying for the subclass 173 visa and then the subclass 143 visa allows you to spread the cost of the visas over a number of years.

How long you can stay

This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely as a permanent resident.

For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:

  • we grant the visa if you are in Australia
  • you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia

Include family

You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.

If you have a partner, include their details in your application even if they are not applying for the visa with you.

Family members who apply for the visa must meet our health and character requirements. Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet our health and character requirements.

Newborn child

Find out what to do if your child is born after you apply.


This visa costs from AUD47,455.

You pay for this visa in 2 parts, called instalments.

Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when we ask you to. See more about visa fees and charges.

There is also a charge for any family member who applies for the visa with you.

You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics. 

To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.

Apply from

In most cases, you can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa.

If you are in Australia when you apply, any family members you include when you apply must also be in Australia. If you are outside Australia, any family members you include when you apply must also be outside Australia.

If you have a visitor visa that is subject to a no further stay condition, you cannot apply for the subclass 143 visa in Australia.

You can be in Australia when we make a decision on your application if:

  • you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • you held a Tourist visa (subclass 676) or Visitor visa (subclass 600), which a Minister granted when you applied for this visa
  • you are a family member of a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173) holder and you were in Australia when the application was submitted
  • you hold a Bridging visa

In all other cases, you must be outside Australia when we make a decision.

Your obligations

You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.

Book a Consulation about this Visa

Complete our online enquiry form and one of our agents will contact you shortly