The visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, live in Australia permanently. It is usually granted to people who hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 309).
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
- if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship
- in most cases, hold a temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309)
- in most cases, continue to be in a genuine and ongoing relationship with your partner
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
You become a permanent resident on the day we grant the visa.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
- we grant the visa if you are in Australia
- you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia
You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.
If you have a dependent child who does not hold a subclass 309 visa, you can add them to your application before we make a decision on your permanent visa application.
The child must hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445)
Complete Form 1002 - Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (303KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.
Your family members must meet our health requirement. They must also meet our character requirement if they are 16 years old or older. Family members who are not applying for the visa might also need to meet our health requirement.
Find out how to add a newborn child to your application.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.
You will have paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.