the department can't help arrange adoptions and the department do not issue letters of no objection. Our role is to assess and decide applications for visas.
Learn more about adopting a child overseas from Intercountry Adoptions Australia.
the department are unable to accept adoption visa applications for children who have been adopted in Pakistan.
With this visa the child can
- stay in Australia indefinitely with their adoptive parent
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor their relatives to come to Australia
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
The child can travel to and from Australia as many times as they want for 5 years from the date the department grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If the child wants to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- they will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so they can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- they might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If they become an Australian citizen, they don't require a visa to enter Australia. They will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
To see when the child's travel facility ends, use VEVO.
How long the child can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets the child stay in Australia indefinitely.
The child becomes a permanent resident on the day the department grant the visa.
Include other children
If the child has siblings who also want to apply for an Adoption visa, submit separate applications for each sibling.
The child's dependent children can be included on their application when they apply or added to their applcation at any time before the department decide the application.
Dependent children of the child who apply for the visa must meet our health requirement.
Family members who are not coming to Australia might also have to meet our health requirement.
The visa costs AU2,470 for the main applicant.
There is also an additional charge for each of the child's dependent children who apply for the visa.
There might be other costs for health exams, police certificates and biometrics.
To work out what the visa might cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.
The child must be outside Australia when the application is submitted and when the department make a decision.