This visa is for experienced business owners, to operate a new or existing business in Australia.
With this visa, you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible apply for Australian citizenship
Newly arrived residents may have to wait before they can access certain Australian Government payments and benefits.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
If you are offshore when the visa is granted you become a permanent resident on the day you enter Australia on the visa.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day:
- we grant the visa if you are in Australia, or
- you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia
You can include family in your application when you apply. You can also add family to your application at any time before we decide on your application.
For this visa, your family are:
- your partner
- your dependent child
- your dependent stepchild
- your dependant's dependant
The visa costs AUD7290 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family who applies for the visa with you.
You might have to pay an extra charge for any applicant 18 years old or older who has less than functional English. This charge is the second instalment. Pay it only when we ask you to. We we ask for the charge only if we are going to grant the visa. The second instalment charges are:
- main applicant: AUD9795
- family members: AUD4890
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application.
You and your family must comply with all Australian laws.
From the date we grant this visa, you can travel to and from Australia for up to 5 years.
After that period, you will need a Resident Return (RRV) visa to re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.
If you leave Australia after the expiry date of your travel facility, without being granted another permanent visa with a valid travel facility, for example a Resident Return (RRV), you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident.
To see when your travel condition ends, use VEVO.
We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.
Additional information for About this visa
After entering Australia, you must:
- establish a business in Australia, or
- participate in an existing qualifying business in Australia
Your business must do at least one of these things:
- develop business links with international markets
- employ people in Australia
- export Australian goods
- produce goods or services that would otherwise be imported
- introduce new or improved technology
- add to commercial activity and competitiveness within the Australian economy
In operating your business, you must:
- maintain substantial ownership
- maintain direct and continuous involvement in the day-to-day management of the business
- make decisions that affect the overall direction and performance of the business in a way that benefits the Australian economy
After you have begun operating a business in Australia, we will ask you to fill out Form 1010 Survey of Business Skills visa holders (257KB PDF).
During your first 3 years in Australia, we will monitor your business activities to make sure you are meeting these requirements.