Visit to support a child who holds a student Visa
With this visa you can
- come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional circumstances)
- care for more than one student
- study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months
You cannot work.
How long you can stay
You can stay in Australia until a date specified on your visa grant letter. In deciding this date, we usually consider the length of the student visa holder’s stay or when that student turns 18.
You can stay in Australia by applying for a further Student Guardian visa.
If any member of your family unit has not turned 6 years old, you cannot be granted the visa unless:
- there are compelling and compassionate reasons or
- granting the visa would significantly benefit the relationship between the Australian Government and the government of another country
The child must meet the same health requirements as you and have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.
You can't include children under 6 years old after you have submitted your application.
Children 6 years old or older can come with you but they must apply for their own student visa.
The visa costs from AUD575 for the main applicant.
There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with you.
You might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
To work out what your visa will cost use the Visa Pricing Estimator. The estimator does not take into account the other costs.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa and when we decide on your application.
You and your family members must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.
You will need to be able to financially support yourself while in Australia. You will need to be able to financially support accompanying family members