This visa lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently. It is usually only for people who currently hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).
- hold a temporary Partner visa (subclass 820)
- in most cases, continue to be in a married or de facto relationship with your sponsor
With this visa you can
- apply for Australian citizenship if eligible
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public healthcare scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your family members to come to Australia
- travel to and from Australia for 5 years
- if eligible, attend free English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
You become a permanent resident on the day the visa is granted.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts:
- on the day the visa is granted if you are in Australia
- on the day you enter Australia on this visa if you are outside Australia.
You can include your dependent child in your application when you apply for the combined temporary and permanent visas.
If you did not include your dependent child in your temporary visa application, you can still add them to your application before we make a decision on your permanent visa application. The child must:
- usually hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) and
- be in Australia
Complete Form 1002 Application by a subclass 445 dependent child for a permanent partner visa (303KB PDF) and attach it to your ImmiAccount.
You paid for this visa when you applied for the combined temporary and permanent partner visas.
You might have to pay other costs such as those for health checks or police certificates.
You and your children must obey all Australian laws.