This permanent visa lets the aged parent of a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen stay in Australia.
With this visa you can
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enrol in Australia's public health care scheme, Medicare
- sponsor your relatives to come to Australia
- apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
Travel to and from Australia for 5 years
You can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for 5 years from the date we grant this visa. This is as long as the travel facility on this visa remains valid.
If you want to travel after the initial 5-year travel facility:
- you will need to apply for and be granted a Resident Return (RRV) so that you can re-enter Australia as a permanent resident
- you might also want to consider Australian citizenship. If you become an Australian citizen, you don't require a visa to enter Australia. You will need to apply for an Australian passport and use it to leave and re-enter Australia. See more about eligibility requirements and current processing times for Australian citizenship
To see when your travel facility ends, use VEVO.
If you hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (subclass 884) visa
You can apply for the subclass 864 visa as a two-step process by first applying for a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) (subclass 884) visa. Applying for the subclass 884 visa and then the subclass 864 visa allows you to spread the cost of the visas over a number of years.
How long you can stay
This is a permanent visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.
For citizenship purposes, your permanent residency starts on the day we grant the visa.
You can include members of the family unit in your application when you apply.
You will be required to include details of all your family members, whether they are migrating or not, in the application form.
If you have a partner, include their details in your application even if they are not applying for the visa with you.
Find out what to do if your child is born after you apply.
This visa costs from AUD47,455. There is an additional charge for each family member who applies with you.
You pay for this visa in 2 parts called instalments.
Pay the first instalment when you apply. Pay the second instalment when we ask you to.
You might also have to pay other costs for each applicant for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Use the Visa Pricing Estimator to work out what your visa will cost. The estimator does not take into account the second instalment or other costs.
See more about visa fees and charges.
You must be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply and when we decide on your application.
Any family members who apply for the visa with you must also be in Australia, but not in immigration clearance, when you apply.
We assess applications for this visa in 2 stages.
- Check eligibility and either add the application to the queue or refuse it.
- Continue assessing the application when a place becomes available and make a decision.
Don't arrange to move to Australia until we grant the visa. We will let you know in writing if we grant you the visa.
You and your family members must obey all Australian laws.